Tuesday, February 7, 2012

The Power of a HIgh Five

Jeff hamming it up for the camera
With my love affair I have with Google, I had to find out who started the high five. It was started by a man named Lamont Sleets, Jr. He played college basketball for Murray State University in Kentucky between 1979 and 1984 and he reportedly created "one of the most contagious gestures in sports and maybe, for that matter, American life." His dad served in Vietnam in the 5th Infantry, a unit nicknamed The Five. When his dad's buddies would hang out at the house, they would greet each other with arms straight up and grunt, "FIVE." Little Lamont would love to jump up and slap his little hand against theirs and yell, "Hi Five!" Years later, Sleets started using this with his team mates and the rest is history.


I was never much of a "high fiver" until I had kids. It's a cute thing to teach your toddler and once your kids enter the team sport's world, high fives are generously given. I know the high five has recently evolved into "knucks" but I think the high five still wins out. It is internationally known as a celebration code for "good job" or "are you with me?" or "let's do this" or "winning." I've witnessed tons of high fives and even given some but the most important high five happened four and a half years ago and I think about it almost everyday.


When my son, Brian, dove into a sandbar in August 2007 and broke his neck, he was staying at the beach with close friends. He was rushed to a hospital five minutes away and by the time we arrived, 30 or so friends were in the waiting room. His surgery took three excruciating hours and all the while, more friends were making the hour drive down to the beach, just to be with us. One of those folks, was Jeff. Jeff is a physical therapist and a dear friend. I  remember one time, late in the evening, Brian hurt something and we went over to Jeff's house and he worked on Brian on his kitchen table. Jeff has been so good to Brian and our family. He has patched up Brian and put him back together more times than I can remember. 


After surgery, a nurse came out and told us Brian was on his way to ICU. We asked if we could see him. She said, yes but that Brian was not conscious and wouldn't even know we were there....we didn't care. So at that point, about 40 of the most wonderful people we know, gathered around Brian's gurney. He had tubes coming out of his face and he was hooked up to monitors, IVs and could have had the starring role on HOUSE. Jeff asked the nurse if he could have a minute and pray for Brian. She looked disinterested and told us that he wouldn't be able to hear the prayer. Jeff prayed anyway. I can't remember what he said but after "Amen" he asked Brian to give him a high five and you know what? That boy who was lying there lifeless on that gurney, turned his head toward Jeff, opened his eyes, and reached up and gave Jeff a high five. Jeff had an astonished look on his face and said that was incredible because with Brian's level of injury, he shouldn't have been able to raise his arm. At that point, just eight hours after Brian was injured, I knew he was going to be alright. That simple high five turned into an incredible promise of hope and recovery. 


Once again, Jeff was the "PT whisperer" and impacted Brian's life. He didn't stop there. Jeff had a "stealth" exercise regimen for Brian where he would sneak into his rehab hospital room late at night and work out a weak, recovering Brian. He even taught  my brother-in-law the routine and they would take turns coming in. Jeff continues to fix broken stuff that Brian brings him. Yesterday we visited for a bruised big toe that Brian managed to break in some mysterious way.


Hillside running team welcoming us to the finish line
Jeff's latest high five was at the finish line at a half marathon a few weeks ago. He beat me by about a day and a half. When I saw him and the other Hillside runners, I knew I was almost home. When he reached out and gave me a high five, it meant the world to me. Can it be that a little gesture like a high five can have such a lasting impact? I guess if it comes from a friend who has your back and wants the best for you it can. So Lamont, this high five is for you! Thanks for creating something that with one slap can sum up everything I just wrote here.
Who needs a high five from you today?




.

3 comments: