Monday, January 30, 2012

Don't Sweat the Small Stuff

When I tried to think of a title for my blog, this was the first thing that came to mind. I have lived by this motto for the past 52 years. I try not to let little stuff bug me and since I am 52, "sweat" is now part of my everyday life. Recently, I crave the frozen food aisle at Vons, not for the taquitos but it's one of the few places that my body temp feels right. Two nights ago, I was using FaceTime on my glorious new iPhone and was chatting with my daughter. She noticed the huge, blue igloo thing you stick in the freezer sitting on my chest. I have gone so far to even sleep with that thing...what a wonderful invention...ice that doesn't melt that you can hug!



Another aspect about not worrying over every little thing, is deciding what is "little." I'll make a list of the small stuff just to be clear:

  • you purchased a 2 inch binder instead of a 3 inch binder for your fourth grader cause you did not read the syllabus (I was at a back to school night and this was a major discussion point)
  • you tripped up the stairs to the stage and landed across three vocalist's laps at a large funeral of a close friend ( I did this and survived the embarrassment)
  • you have dust on your floor, you have dust on your TV cabinet, you have dust that has given birth to more dust under your couch...anything in the "dusting" category
  • you eat organic tomato soup and round it off with ham and cheese panini 

The list of small stuff is different for everyone but it can really drag us down. We all have good, big stuff to fill our thoughts and dreams but it gets buried under mounds of little things that worry us. I encourage  you to focus on something important in your life today...something that deserves your attention. Maybe it is time spent with a good friend, reading with your kid, something physical that makes you feel good or better yet, go out and do something nice for someone else. That will usually make your small stuff disappear.

1 comment:

  1. I read this yesterday. It has come in very handy today. Thank you my friend. I miss you and your big laughs. Hope to see you soon!

    ReplyDelete